Monday, May 2, 2011

Mrs. Peyton


I volunteer in Peyton's class every Monday morning. . .

Peyton at the first of the year was new to the school, but made friends quickly. He became fast friends with a darling girl named Hallie. She is tall like he is and they get along great. Her mom said to me one day that some of Hallie's friends were teasing her because she was friends with Peyton, A BOY, and her mom told her it was just fine.

During the first part of the year I ran into Peyton's teacher Mrs. Baughman after school one day and she told me that multiple times that day she found Peyton with his hand on Hallie's shoulder or somehow touching her. Yikes!! Mrs. Baughman said that is was adorable and if she would have had a camera. . .but she had told him no more hands on the shoulder, etc.

We had a small talk that evening about personal space and how some people don't like to be touched and they might get mad. He was fine with it and we have not had a problem since then. He is still good friends with Hallie. They sit by each other on the rug often.

. . .they have two rounds of "stations" each morning where they do different things, computers, listening, reading groups, writing time, etc. So this morning I was cutting out some things for Mrs. Escamilla (his other team teacher) and I hear Hallie calling Peyton over and over again. To help with her log in on her netbook, I think, but there is a whole lot of laughing and playing, pretty much messing around.

I get Peyton focused back on his work and he's off doing something and out of the corner of my eye I see Hallie, standing up real straight and proper and announcing that she is "Mrs. Peyton". She sees me looking and stops immediately, as I try to quickly look the other way as if nothing happened.

Peyton told Joe that they play "house" at recess. I didn't get many of the details but I know they have moms, dads, kids, cats, dogs, etc.

Oh to be in 1st grade again and be friends with everyone! And have everything so innocent. Wish life could stay that way!

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! She must see that Peyton is quite the catch!!!

    ReplyDelete