Friday, February 24, 2012

What's for Dinner? Day 85

We had one of my favorite dinners tonight :)  And Peyton's favorite as well :)

He usually requests it for his birthday!

Chicken Cordon Bleu

I orginally got it from Allrecipes.com, Chicken Cordon Bleu II
(well actually we had it at my sister-in-laws house where Peyton fell in love!)

I adjusted it a little to not have to roll it (it's pretty time consuming)--I have made it many times the way listed below.  But I adjusted a few things this time--in red.


6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves--I use the large ones from Costco and cut them in half lengthwise

6 slices Swiss cheese
6 slices ham
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup dry white wine--I use chicken broth
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

1.Pound chicken breasts if they are too thick. Place a cheese and ham slice on each breast within 1/2 inch of the edges. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks. Mix the flour and paprika in a small bowl, and coat the chicken pieces. --I didn't roll the chicken.  I cooked it per instructions in step 2 and then put chicken breast on a cookie sheet and placed the ham and then a slice of swiss cheese on top and put in the oven on 225 while I finished the sauce.

2.Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Add the wine and bouillon. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

3.Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a warm platter. Blend the cornstarch with the cream in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet. I added 2 slices of swiss cheese directly to the sauce to let it melt in (honestly part of the yummiest of the sauce is that the cheese usually oozes out of the chicken and gets mixed up in the sauce.  Cook, stirring until thickened, and pour over the chicken. Serve warm.

It is delicious!!

We serve it with rice, some kind of veggie (depends on the day or the season) and sometimes bread (today we used the leftover loaf from Valentines Day)






No comments:

Post a Comment